Friday, September 28, 2007

Comments; Climate Change

You know, it's hard being the younger brother of two college-attending, politically-aware jargon geniuses. Especially since you can tell that they spent some time spinning their elegant essays into streamlined, direct messages that read like a college textbook on steroids.

Ok, they're not exactly like that, but it's sure intimidating to try to write a post about anything when you're afraid you'll look like a wimp trying to fit in next to these guys.

* * *

I don't exactly have anything profound to say about modern neighborhoods, green cars, or futile research projects, but the other day I read the National Geographic article concerning climate change. All in all, it was actually a well-thought argument that was written in very reasonable terms. You can all read it here.

However, I have two reservations:

1. The article states that CO2 at 450 parts per million in the atmosphere is a threshold we should respect. But how does he measure that argument with the one I've heard from those that don't believe global warming: that there is evidence of ages where the CO2 level was ten times what it was now, and that there is little or no evidence of there being global disasters on a massive scale? I have yet to see a side-by-side analysis of the two arguments.

2. The author, to my astonishment, claims that "in the end, global warming presents the greatest test we humans have yet faced." Are we still so blind as to think that our greatest threats lie in our physical destruction? This incredibly bold claim is clearly just a gimmick meant to scare people into taking global warming seriously. That phrase alone undermines my ability to believe the rest of the article. I find it ironic to contrast this author's opinion to the Bible, where God flooded the earth and physically destroyed every living thing in an act of mercy - to protect the righteous, and to give a chance for those still in heaven to be born into a righteous family. Even if another big storm is coming, I believe we need to put cleaning up our act before cleaning up our air. There are many things more terrible than death.

3 comments:

Angela said...

Dear Benjamin,

I can understand what you are saying about the boldness of the guy's statement and that there are worse things than death, for example, facing God the Father on Judgement Day after living a life of immorality drunkenness and sin.
But I have seen the effects of Global warming in my own life over the years of living in the MidWest.

I think a good source for you would be to watch if you can the documentary by former VP Al Gore, "An Inconvenient Truth". I have seen it and it is very clear to understand some of these concepts for those of us who do not have PH.D. and Doctorates in Earth Studies etc.

In my lifetime and in my area I have seen the amount of snowfall for my area go from 8-10 in. per occurance to almost nothing for the entire season. Also this summer we have had so little rain here that for the first time in my living in this area (And I have lived in these complexes since 1996) my lake at the end of the road has completely dried up.

As far as the CO2, well, with the industrial revolution, we began to build large factories and in order to build them, we destoyed the nature around us in order to make room for our production plants. Trees "breathe in" CO2 and "breathe out" Oxygen! So we are cutting down the very things that give us breath! We cannot survive in an environment without plants that do this. The destruction of thousands of acres of trees for our production needs along with toxic emmisions from some of the plants has brought us to this point....My hypothesis is that if we want to stop global warming, stop killing the trees and start planting some!

As far as Judgement, you and I both know that we are in the Last Days. Judgement has already begun to fall on the US as a nation for the actions of the people from my parents generation and also from my own. We have seen catastrophic destruction in fires and storms. These have increased in greater number over the years, and in greater intensity. (Also explained in Inconvenient Truth)

I hope you have a blessed weekend! And I don't care if your article is on the recent cartoon show that you watched! Don't feel timid to post anything.

Angela

Anonymous said...

You know, since we have a stewardship over the earth, perhaps cleaning the air is just a part of cleaning our act.

I agree people do tend to blow things completely out of proportion. Last year the weather forecasters talked for at least a week about the incoming "storm of the century." There weren't even any power-outs as a result of it. There was nothing spectacular about it. I think the forecasters just wanted attention.

Also, don't worry about your posts. Your grammar is usually better than your brothers'. ;)

Kate The Great said...

It's okay, BenJammin. Even if you're interested in skateboards and the psychology of Apples to Apples, I want to read it. Besides, this blog is so heavy with politics and stuff, it might do with a little joke or two every once in awhile. A little push-and-shove among giants who are brothers. A little lighter topic.