Wednesday, November 12, 2008

An Entertaining Application Essay

Hey everybody, I read this again recently, and I still think it's pretty funny. It is my friend Grant's BYU college application essay. He's currently in the Missionary Training Center, and when he says he speaks spanish he's not lying - his skills cut his 11 week stay at the MTC to 4.

He tempered his final draft a bit, but here's the original version :-)

I have studied extensively in the arts. I have earned the Sterling Scholar Award for Brighton High School in the area of visual arts. I have studied in music for many years, and have learned to play the piano, guitar, and the Navajo Wood Flute. I can cry on queue. I have participated in community service, and have achieved the rank of Eagle in the Scouting program. I am a certified Black Belt in Tae Kwon Doe. I have two aunts who are 1/8th Navajo, a full Taos Pueblo Uncle, a full Goshute great aunt, and my sophomore crush is 1/8th Cherokee. I am Swedish. I have participated and lettered in Track and Field, served as a Cross Country Captain, finished first in JV Region Wrestling, and can cut my own hair without a mirror. And I never lie. I am an active member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, and live its values. I don't drink, do drugs, or smoke, and as such, I am healthy, on track and on task. I love trains. I am a bright, capable, and hard working student, and am a good representative of the values that BYU is governed by. My palms do not sweat. I have an unusual ability to understand many things in many fields, and as such, I have cultivated my talents broadly, developing a wide range of skills. I speak a lot of Spanish, and am fluent in Pig Latin. I am spirited and friendly, and get along well with all types of people. I can count to three using only two fingers. I learn very quickly, and don’t forget what I’ve learned. I have a keen sense of smell, and thus, I realize that I have a pleasing aroma. BYU is my lover.

4 comments:

Kate said...

OH my heck. Love that kid.

At first I thought it was your application essay and I was like "wow- I know a lot less about Ben then I thought I did..." And then I read the beginning- which I had skipped. Haha

But yeah, I'm glad you posted this Ben! I think I'll use it for MY next application essay cause I've pretty much done most of that stuff anyways.

And that was me making a joke. ;)

Benjamin said...

Haha, yeah, mine wasn't this good :-) And you know, I think I'll just go DO all this stuff so I can just use this essay as my own next time I need one. Though I don't know what I'll do about the goshute aunts...

But yeah, I got this sweet reference in Grant's last email home. Check it out: "My companion Elder Torres is a nice sort of guy :) nothing at all like me, and clumsy like Ben".

CLUMSY? The sad thing is, I swear Grant's cursed me, because up until this time I haven't done hardly anything clumsy while at college. Then today I hit myself in the head with a door I was opening. It LOOKED heavy.

skschmi said...

This essay's genius! :-)

Angela said...

Hey Guys!

Glad to hear from you! You're friend Grant sounds like he's a real character!

Anyway, when I was in High School, I was going to miss a weeks worth of school to spend time with my family in FL, because my aunt's Spring break and mine were on opposite weeks, and we were going to FLwith extended family. Anyway, I had to write an essay for the school corp on the educational benefits of taking the time off from school! You wouldn't believe some of the stuff I came up with! I think it was something along the lines of, "I am considering going into the field of oceanography and needed the time to research my prospects for education and get a real close look at the marine life!"
Man, what I wouldn't do to get a copy of that paper now for a good laugh! (it may date me a little, but I didn't have a computer at home, we had electric typewriters at that time in the house!) Mom and dad didn't become computer savvy until about the time I left for college.

I hope everyone has a safe and Happy Thanksgiving!

Angela