Wednesday, November 26, 2008

My Take On Homosexuality


Note: This article was written by a good friend, Greg Wendel.
I liked the way he argued his point. I agree with him.


My Take On Homosexuality

By Greg Wendel
November 24, 2008

It is a big issue these days, so I thought I'd organize my thoughts.

There has been evidence (at least I've heard there is some though I can't link to it) that the state of Homosexuality can be seen in the brain. When exposed to certain stimuli the brain reacts in certain ways, showing that there is a true biochemical reaction to go along with the name it has been given. What does it prove? That homosexuality exists, and that its existence can be verified scientifically.

Do I think that people are born with it? I think it is possible, but what I believe to be more probable is that the tendency is born into people. Given certain environments and stimuli the tendency can remain dormant. Given other environments and stimuli the brain will begin to react to those stimuli in what is now called a "homosexual" way.

I think that given these conditions homosexuality can be compared pretty fairly to say, depression. Are people born with it? I don't think so, but I do believe that their brains are wired in certain ways so that the tendency is there, and given certain stimuli, conditions, and stressors the brain will begin to react in certain ways so that a person's mental state can be defined as depressed. The existence of depression can be proved through the manifestation of its symptoms, and analysis of how the brain works. It can be verified scientifically.

That being said, we know that depression (as a manifestation of how the brain is working) is not an ideal or natural condition for a brain (or person) to be in. Constant fatigue, apathy, pain (all over), and suicidal thoughts are just a few ways in which depression effects every day life. It would be considered ridiculous inhumane to tell people that since depression exists (it can be identified scientifically) it is an ideal or acceptable way to live. Should we tell those with depression or other mental ailments that they should expect to be sad, and that is the way they were meant to be, and who they are? Should we encourage them to be depressed just because that is how their brain currently works? The answer, I believe is obvious. Yet, when confronted with the issue of homosexuality society employs a double standard much to the detriment of those who could be helped. We do a great disservice to either group when we tell them that what they are dealing with is normal, or even ideal.

Don't get me wrong. I do not believe that those who are born with the tendency for homosexuality are any more to blame (for that tendency) then those who are born with the tendency toward depression. It is how their brains came wired, and it not something that they could control. However, I do believe that each group can decide how to deal with it.

I do not believe that we should deny work to those who deal with homosexuality. I think they should have hospital visitation rights, and (if they are in a stable living arrangement with their partner) that they should be able to have insurance plans together. We should treat those who deal with homosexuality with as much kindness and respect as we would with any other person who deals with any other issue. Marriage has always been a union between man and woman. Marriage (given what it is) is as available to those who struggle with depression as those that struggle with homosexuality. That right is available to them as it is to any other man or woman. Any other union or binding agreement between partners is not marriage, and it should never be described as such.

What makes me think this way? I have known people who have lived the homosexual life and been a "homosexual," who have later married and found love and marriage with one of the opposite sex. I have friends who are "gay." I believe them to be generally good people (like I am a generally good person,) who are nonetheless deceived about the true nature of their condition. Perhaps most importantly I have the tendency toward depression. I know what it feels like to be different, and not to fit in. Sometimes even the simplest of relationships and activities are colored by this, but I will not let it rule me. There are steps I (and others like me) can and do take to overcome. A tendency toward depression does not mean that I cannot be happy, only that I must take care of myself.

1 comment:

Angela said...

Hey Guys!

I completely agree with everything stated! Greg has a way of explaining topics that makes some of the most complex issues so plain and understandable. Both Jason and Greg as a team when they were missionaries here in Evnasville IN were awesome and have changed my life forever!

Miss you guys! Have a safe holiday season!

Angela